Practicality and power combined
Introducing the Shimano STEPS EP8.
Whether you’re running errands, shuttling kids to the school drop-off, taking a partner along for a ride or hitting up some forest roads for a weekend getaway, the new Shimano STEPS EP8 e-bike system is there to give you a little – or a lot – of boost.
What makes the Shimano STEPS system unique
A true leader in e-bike development, Shimano has learned a lot from its many years on the scene and has truly refined their system.
Additional System Details
Take on your commute in full confidence with 85Nm increased maximum torque. EP8 delivers smooth, direct power to ensure you’re always in complete control while experiencing a natural ride feeling.
- Lightweight motor for better handling (5.75 lbs.)
- Quieter to enjoy the trails without distraction
- Sleek integration and appearance for improved aesthetics
- More ground clearance for technical trails
- Refined Trail mode
- Responsive, especially noticeable when riding above 25km/h
- Extensive customizable assistance
- Durable and weather resistant for riding in all conditions
- Improved heat management
- Support when pushing your bike and walking. Riders can hop off and walk their bikes without needing to shift
Shimano STEPS batteries are renowned for keeping you out longer and riding further and the new BT-E8016 is no exception.
- Long lifespan
- Compact and low center of gravity for better bike handling
- Easy to remove
- 630 wH capacity
- 30 – 60 miles of range, depending on conditions
- Charge from 0-100% in 4 hours
The STEPS SC-E5003 cycling computer puts the power at your fingers tips.
- Unified switch and display
- Left hand operation for flat handlebar bike
- Simple & compact menu display with monochrome font
- Assist mode select buttons (up/down)
- Light on/off button
- Change display menu button
- Walk assist function
The E-Tube Project App gives you the power to customize your ride way before you buckle up your helmet.
- Wireless connection to smartphone and tablet
- Tailor and customize your ride
- Bring your Shimano powered bike easily up to date with the latest firmware
- Easy to check error codes, causes and solutions within the app
- User-friendly interface and intuitive in-app navigation
- Two factory-set profiles ready for riders to adjust to their needs: 1) Variable terrain. 2.) Extreme riding, maximum assist without sacrificing controllability.
- Easy to switch profiles via the display e.g. Commuting and Off-Road
- iOS and Android compatible
System Specifications and User Manuals
|Motor class||Class 1|
|Maximum assist speed||20 MPH|
|Number of support levels||3 – Eco, Trail and Boost|
|Maximum torque||85 nM|
|Motor weight||~ 5.75 lbs.|
|Walk assist option||Yes|
|Battery||BT-E8016, 630 wH external|
(downtube on eSwoop and RFA,
chainstay on eStoker)
|Battery range||30 – 60 miles per charge,|
depending on conditions
|Battery charger||Shimano EC-E8004|
|Battery charge time||0-100% in 4 hours|
|Cycling computer||SC-E5003 (located on handlebar)|
|Bluetooth connectivity||E-Tube Project app|
Frequently Asked Questions about the Shimano STEPS EP8
What does STEPS stand for?
Shimano STEPS is Shimano’s e-bike system. STEPS stands for Shimano Total Electric Power System. Shimano incorporates its extensive experience and success in bike componentry into the creation of its premium e-bike systems.
Do you have to pedal on a Shimano STEPS Xtracycle?
Yes, all Shimano STEPS systems are pedelecs, meaning pedal assist. The Shimano system is designed to amplify the power you put into the bike, it will not work unless the rider does.
Do the Shimano STEPS Xtracycle have a throttle?
No, the Shimano STEPS EP8 system does not have a throttle (button or switch that engages the motor when you are not pedaling). The rider must be pedaling for the motor to be engaging.
How fast does a Shimano STEPS Xtracycle go?
The max power of the Shimano STEPS system is 20mph. This classifies this system as a Class 1 pedal assist bike.
The max assist is 20 MPH. Does this mean I can’t ride faster than 20 MPH?
This max assist level means this is the speed at which the electric system will stop assisting you in pedaling. When you reach over 20 MPH, pedaling will be all human powered and your can go as fast as your legs can pedal and the downhill can propel you. Once your bike slows back down to slightly below 20 MPH, the pedal assist will kick back in if the system is on.
Can I ride with the system turned off?
Yes, you can, but anticipate it being a little harder than riding a regular bike. This is because the bike is heavier than a standard bike so you will be pedaling more weight on your own.
Can I install a Shimano STEPS on my non-electric EdgeRunner or Bosch powered Xtracycle?
Because the Shimano STEPS system requires a custom frame to fit the motor, retrofitting the STEPS on a non-electric bike or a Bosch powered Xtracycle is not possible.
Can I ride my Shimano STEPS Xtracycle in the rain?
Yes, STEPS equipped Xtracycles are water resistant. This means they can be ridden in the rain but note; they are not meant to be submerged under water.
How do I maintain my Shimano STEPS Xtracycle?
Maintenance of an e-bike is just like any other. Check tire pressure, brakes, and chain before each ride, and take your bike into your local dealer for tune-ups. For more information on maintaining your Xtracycle, please check out there articles:
– Maintenance: Caring for your new Xtracycle (this includes a detailed maintenance schedule)
– Maintenance: Basic Bike Maintenance Tool Kit Check List (this includes a check list of the maintenance tools you should have)
Are there various motor and battery options or just one for the Shimano powered Xtracycles?
We are only offering the DU-EP800 drive unit and the 630 wH battery.
Can I lock the battery?
Yes. There is a keylock included which you can use to lock and unlock the battery on the bike.
What is the battery range of a Shimano STEPS e-bike?
There are many variables that determine the range of your battery. These can include rider weight, wind, terrain type, and assist level being used. In general, a 630wH should have 30 – 60 miles of range.
Long-term battery storage?
– Store in a cool, indoor location with a stable temperature between approximately 10 to 20°C
– No direct exposure to sunlight or rain
– Charge battery to around 70% before storing
– Every six months, charge the battery back up to around 70%
– Before using the battery again, charge it completely
How is the battery range calculated while I ride?
The range overview is recalculated continuously by calculating speed, driver behavior and power consumption. This means that range overview makes a prediction, which can vary depending on these different factors.
What is the battery capacity?
The Shimano STEPS battery that comes with every Shimano powered Xtracycle has a 630 wH capacity.
How much does the remaining battery capacity decrease after several years?
Generally, the battery will decrease by approximately 5% a year. Which means about 95% capacity remains after year one, and 90% after year 2.
Do I need to empty the battery completely before recharging to expand battery life?
No, as this will not affect battery life. Simply charge your battery any time you feel you need it.
How long does it take to charge a Shimano STEPS battery?
The battery will charge from 0-80% in 2 hours, and from 0-100% in 4 hours.
My STEPS battery is empty. Do I need to charge it right away?
You need to charge it back up to 70% if you plan to directly store your bike for six months or more. Otherwise, if you plan to use your bike in the very near future, simply charge the battery before your next ride.
Can I still pedal if the battery is empty?
Yes, but you won’t have any support. As e-bikes are heavier than normal bikes, it’s best to avoid these situations. The brakes and shifters are fully mechanical and not connected to the e-bike system so those will continue to work normally.
Will display still work if battery is empty?
Yes. When riding with an empty battery, the ride-assist will stop but there will always be some extra ‘bring me home’ energy to run the display as well as bike lights.
Does pedaling recharge the battery?
No. Pedaling the bike does not recharge the battery.
What is E-Tube?
E-Tube is the software you need to make a connection to your bike. All info can be found on the E-Tube projects website.
Where can I find the latest firmware updates?
You can find the latest firmware releases on the E-Tube projects website.
How long is the Shimano warranty valid for?
Shimano provides a 2-year warranty for all STEPS components beginning on the date it’s purchased.
What is the Xtracycle warranty?
You can see the full Xtracycle warranty on our Terms and Conditions page. The Xtracycle warranty only applies to part and components manufactured by Xtracycle, like the frame and fork.
Our client support staff is here to help. Simply send us an email at email@example.com and we’ll do our best to answer your questions.