Xtracycle Careers – Service Technician
Way back in 1998, a youthful Xtracycle dreamed of inventing an everyday bike for everyday people—a stupefyingly bold idea—given that the “golden age” of cargo bikes had long come and gone.
Our curiously catalytic founder returned from extensive world travels—compelled to craft a simple two-wheeled steed that maybe, just maybe, could normalize bikes as everyday transport.
Almost by accident—(can I surf this thing?)—we rediscovered a funner way to get around. That feeling of gliding past traffic, wind in our sails—the sheer glee of having our favorite people there with us for the ride. We hadn’t felt that way since we were kids!
To our utter delight (and admittedly, some surprise), our humble designs ignited a cargo bike movement that is now inspiring millions into grabbing life by the bars and following us down a path less-pedalled. These everyday active-ists are shifting the course of human transportation toward a more brilliant future—for us and all our fellow crew members on spaceship Earth.
You might just have to ride to believe.
We work to live by the following values:
Be a good butterfly: If a butterfly can cause a hurricane thousands of miles away, so can you. Make it a good one.
Run the edges: Edgerunners are those courageous people who by strength of will and nobility of spirit make life better for humanity. In this way of being, at times you will feel alone. We must reimagine the status quo and live for something bigger than ourselves.
Be ready for anything: Open minds and hungry hearts—with a willingness to try new things, take risks, and fail forward—prepare us for everyday adventure. Commit to grow, master your uncertainty, sharpen your skills, and boldly forge your future.
Be moved: When we fully engage with the moment, embrace our purpose, and are moved in body and spirit, we generate vicarious joy. This is our invitation to openly share your emotion, inspiration, meaning, and beauty: fuel your fire and lead the way with your light.
We ride together: We share a vision of the bicycle as a powerful change agent—humble and inclusive yet revolutionary—and bikes that haul give people even more utility and personal freedom. That’s the whole point: we edgerunners ride together, and our bikes serve, transport, and transform us all. If the life we live is the legacy we leave, let’s ride!
About this role.
Xtracycle has opened a new physical space – a retail shop and headquarters – in Mill Valley. We’re looking for a personable and friendly bike mechanic who can help us take our stellar online customer service and translate that to in person service at our retail store. You will help represent Xtracycle in person to clients from all over. Plus, you’ll get experience not just at the retail level, but you’ll be working for the Xtracycle brand itself and get hands-on experience on how a brand operates as well.
You’ll delight Xtracycle clients by providing exceptional service while assembling or servicing bikes. You’ll routinely hit quality and efficiency targets in working towards Xtracycle’s purpose: Popularize bike use for everyday transport.
If that sounds exciting, read more about the responsibilities of the position:
- Full bike assemblies
- Assemble new bikes and accessories efficiently and accurately.
- Completing service tags
- Complete repairs on schedule.
Communicate proactively and clearly with clients so that time and cost expectations are met.
Assess the service needs of Xtracycle bikes and e-bikes that come in for repair.
- Complete repairs on schedule.
- Service liaison
- Work with clients bringing their Xtracycles in for service to book appointments and set expectations.
- Virtual Service Appointments
- Identify, diagnose and solve problems via video with clients.
- Respond to technical service tickets in Help Desk software
- Rental bike service
- Service demo fleet so that clients renting bikes have exceptional experiences.
- Serve as a backup on the retail sales floor
- For in-person and virtual sales.
- Keep repair space clean and organized
- Systems Documentation
- Thoroughly document the systems you use so that others can plug-in as needed.
What you’ll bring to the team.
- Entrepreneurial attitude: You work hard and will strive to help Xtracycle succeed.
- Attentive to details: You pay attention to the little stuff, while keeping your sights on the big picture.
- Goal-Oriented: You have strong follow-through and consistently achieve your goals.
- Ready for Anything: You stay hyper-vigilant and attuned to the good and bad. You are prepared for the unexpected.
- Problem-Solver: You notice when something isn’t working and work with your team to make it better.
- Clear communicator: You are friendly, concise and open. You communicate simply and leave nothing open for interpretation in person, on calls, and in writing.
- Positive: You are positive and upbeat in communications.
- Systems Builder: You’re constantly on the lookout for improving how we do things and build and document effective systems.
- Experienced: You’ve trained as a bicycle mechanic either for a bicycle shop or manufacturer.
This is a full-time position. Compensation ranges from $38,000 – $62,000 year and depends on experience, efficiency and quality of your assemblies and service.
How to apply.
To apply for this position, go to: xcy.cl/apply
Please write “Xtracycle Service Technician” into the “Applying for” field.
- Your resume
- Answer the following question: Why are you interested in working for Xtracycle?
About the location.
Work at our Mill Valley, CA headquarters and retail space located at 237 Shoreline Hwy. #C in Tam Junction near Good Earth with great bicycle infrastructure and riding all around.
Xtracycle is an equal opportunity employer.
Xtracycle values a diverse workplace where teammates feel empowered, dignified and respected in all aspects of work and life. We strongly encourage women/trans/femme/non-binary/two spirit/gender non-conforming/+, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Xtracycle is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.