MOTHERLOAD: Telling the story of the cargo bike movement
MOTHERLOAD is a crowd-sourced documentary about a new mother’s quest to understand our current cultural shift toward isolation and disconnection, what this could mean for the future of the planet, and how life on a cargo bike could be the antidote.
Our founder, Ross Evans, is a big part of this story. His journey from service to invention to change-maker is cataloged by Liz Canning to really highlight how one person can make a huge change in culture. That’s what she’s done here.
Where can I see this incredible film?
- Concord, New Hampshire – Tuesday, January 7th at Red River Theater. Doors open at 6pm. Movie starts at 6:30pm. Hosted by Bike-Walk Alliance of New Hampshire (BWANH), Central New Hampshire Bike Coalition (CNHBC), Bike Manchester (BikeMHT), Granite State Wheelers (GSW), and Granite State Health & Fitness Foundation (GSFHH). Click here for tickets!
- Boston, MA – January 9th, private showing for City of Boston employees
- Denver, CO – January 9th. Private event at Shopworks Architecture. If interested, email host!
- Adelaide, Australia – January 11th, private screening for friends of Kaye Cleave
- Kittery, Maine – Seacoast Environmental Film Festival, January 11th. Star Theatre, 11 am. Sponsored by Seacoast Area Bicycle Riders, Papa Wheelies, Colonial, Gus’s, and Exeter Cycles.
- Charlottetown, PE, Canada – Sunday, January 12 at 2pm. City Cinema at 64 King Street, Hosted by Mayor’s Task Force on Active Transportation
- LinkedIn in San Francisco & South Bay, CA – January 24th. Private events for LinkedIn employees hosted by Bikes Make Life Better
- Bethlehem, PA – Saturday, January 25th, 7pm at Center for Appropriate Transportation, 1935 W Broad St.
- Arcata, CA – Saturday, January 25th, private event—BABY SHOWER! Congrats Mom! ❤️
- Bremen, Germany – Saturday, January 25th at 5pm. Kino City 46, Birkenstrabe 1 – 28195 Bremen. Hosted by Velo-Journalist.com
- Transition Town Guildford, WA Australia – Saturday, January 25th at 7pm. Pedalpowered event sponsored by City of Swan. Spring Reserve on Helena Street in Guildford. Join for a picnic dinner! Preshow starts at 7.45pm. Movie starts at 8pm. Evite is here.
- Peterborough, Ontario – January 26, 2:30 pm at Reframe Film Festival.
- Seattle, WA – January 26th at University Cooperative School. Private event for school parents.
- Berlin, Germany – January 30, 5pm at Platz der Luftbrücke 4, Gebäude H2rund, 12101 Berlin. Sponsored by CityLAB Berlin
- Anchorage, Alaska – Monday, February 3rd at Bear Tooth Theatrepub. More details to come!
- Boca Grande, FLA – Thursday, February 20th at 9am. Boca Grande Film Festival
- Minneapolis, MN – Feb 2 at 7pm at Perennial Cycle (6-7 is a social hour at the shop), 3342 Hennepin Ave S
- Lexington, Kentucky – February 26 at the Kentucky Theater. Sponsored by: Mark Hinkel, Pedaling Forward Foundation; Bluegrass Cycling Club; Paula Nye “Share the Road”; Kentucky Bicycle and Bikeway Commission. Benefit for Broke Spoke Community Bike Shop!
- Melbourne, Australia – Feb 26th at Transitions Film Festival. Details TBA
- Baton Rouge, LA – Feb 29th at Tin Roof Brewery, 1624 Wyoming St., hosted by Bike Baton Rouge
- Palo Alto, CA – March 1, 2:00 pm. Sponsored by Wheel Kids, Greendell School, 4120 Middlefield Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303 Register Here
- Stockholm, Sweden – March 5th at Bonne Mecanique bike shop. Private event, but email host if interested!
- Buchholz i.d.N., Germany – March 6 at Rathauskantine, Rathausplatz, hosted by Club Buchholz faehrt Rad e.V.
- Seattle, Washington – Friday, March 13th at 8pm. Hosted by Cascade Bicycle Club. More details to come!
- Brisbane, Australia – March 14th at 6:15pm. Eleanor Schonell Theatre, as part of the Brisbane Bicycle Film Festival. Get your tickets here!
- San Luis Obispo, CA – March 17-22 at San Luis Obispo International Film Festival, details TBA
- Montpelier, Vermont – March 21 at 10 am at the Green Mountain Film Festival, details TBA
- Eugene, OR – May 8th as part of University of Oregon’s LiveMove Speaker Series, in connection with CycloFemme, and including a Q&A with Director Liz Canning. Details TBA
- Bentonville, Arkansas – May 12th, Details TBA
Palo Alto, CA – June 11th, 4-6pm, sponsored by Bikes Make Life Better for Stanford Research Park, but free and open to the public! Details TBA
There are a lot of showings coming up. See if there is one in your area:
How do I join in? I’m not even sure a cargo bike is right for me.
That’s okay. There are a lot of resources to help guide you.
Watch Ross’ exclusive conversation with the multi-talented director, writer, creator of MOTHERLOAD below. Also, stick around until the end for a special offer!:
We love reaching out to the larger cargo bike community to help out first. What’s better than first-hand experience?
Here are two Facebook groups that we recommend to ask questions and get some feedback:
Wondering what our community thinks about life on an Xtracycle? Check out testimonials from our community of Xtracycle riders:
You can even learn about ebikes from our resident Mom and ex-pro racer – Brooke Miller:
We love this super-thoughtful guide as well from THISMOMBIKES on how to choose the right bike for your family:
Of course, you can always reach out to us as well. Our staff went through similar journeys and would love to share their wisdom and know-how with you.
I’m fired up and am ready to get a bike. Where do I go next?
Good news! We thought of that as well! We built our Bike Recommender to help you find the right bike for you.
After that make sure to set up a time with our resident cargo bike experts to go over your recommended bike and make it perfect for you.
What if I want to host my own screening of MOTHERLOAD?
Click the link below to find out all the details of our program to help spread the MOTHERLOAD message across the country. Also, if you are looking to host as non-profit, small organization, or just trying to find a way to make it work, send us a line and let’s see if we can work together on this.