Make D.I.Y. MAGIC
Meet the FreeRadical Leap
Our Xtracycle Leap transforms mild-mannered regular bikes into cargo superheroes, able to carry large loads, transport extra passengers, and traverse the globe.
Turn nearly any ordinary bike into an extraordinary bike with this stellar cargo conversion kit.
Something old is new again
Many of you may recall — or may even still ride! — the revolutionary original FreeRadical conversion kit that launched Xtracycle as a company back in 1998. That kit could haul.
The new and improved FreeRadical “Leap” is even tougher, more rigid and more versatile — not to mention sharper looking.
While the original FreeRad could only accommodate 26″ and 700c tires, the Leap can be installed with bikes with 20″, 24″, 26″, 650B, 650B+, 700C, 29er, and 29+ tires, with a max tire width of 3″.
The added bonus is if you are looking to build a cargo eBike now or down the road, there are various eBike conversion kits that can help turn your Leap into a super electric-assist cargo bike.
How it works
The kit essentially bolts into your rear drop-outs, extending your wheel base. The installation clamps mount firmly to your bike’s chainstays near the drivetrain (i.e., the bottom bracket), creating a super-strong connection.
This ensures that your Leap converted bike won’t just feel like a “bike with a conversion kit” on it but more like a solid cargo bike frame.
The Leap accepts a wide range of add-on components for hauling both kids and cargo. You can easily build up your Leap cargo bike to meet your needs whatever they may be.
Leap vs a full cargo bike?
So, how can you tell if you are a good candidate for a Leap conversion kit as opposed to purchasing one of our complete cargo bikes, like the Swoop, Stoker or RFA?
We’re glad you asked. The FreeRad Leap would be a perfect project for you if:
- You love your current bike but want to carry more stuff with it. Add a bolt-on kit to your faithful steed so you can use it for literally everything.
- You like tinkering on bikes: Bolt-on kits are great for DIY-ers and home bike mechanics. Depending on the condition of your current ride, you may find yourself doing some maintenance on it. Installation requires you to extend your bike chain, and add new cables and housing for your rear brakes and rear derailleur — which are now further away (these cables are included with a Leap kit). Of course, you can always take this project to your local bike shop, too, but don’t be surprised if you unexpectedly have to replace a few additional parts to ensure that the whole setup will work together.
- You have a very specific cargo bike in mind that you haven’t been able to find. Looking for a 29+ cargo hauler to take bike-packing or mountain biking? Hoping for a beach cruiser version with balloon tires? A FreeRadical Leap kit has you covered.
- You’re looking for an affordable way to try out cargo biking. In case you’re not yet totally positive cargo biking is your thing, a bolt-on kit is also an excellent way to start cargo biking without making a bigger investment in a full cargo bike. Throw it on your commuter and try it out for a few weeks!
- You want to be able to go back and forth between cargo and not-cargo: A cargo conversion is by no means permanent. Maybe you want a cargo bike during the summer because you never drive your car when the weather’s nice, but you’d like to take it off in the winter. We won’t say it’s a snap to switch back and forth, but it doesn’t take an eternity. For some it’s a nice option.
Huge potential in a small package
The FreeRadical and FreeRadical Leap have been used for everything from grocery runs and school drops offs to intercontinental adventures and epic back country camp trips.
No matter how big or small your plans are, the FreeRadical Leap is sure to bring a little extra magic to an old bike — an also to your life.
What’s included in the kit?
The Leap Kit comes with the following:
- Leap frame & mounting hardware
- V-Racks (for holding up the deck, hanging bags, etc)
- RackLocks (secure the connection of the the V-Racks to the frame)
- FlightDeck (the deck that mounts on top of the V-Racks)
- Extra-long rear brake and rear shifter cable and housing (these replace those on your existing bike to cover the longer distance)
- Leap WheelSkirts (not included on purchases from international distributors)
What you need to supply:
- A compatible bike frame (compatibility guide)
- Chain with an extension
- Assembly guide
- Please note the Spacer for the Chainstay Clamp Assembly has been replaced with 2 x Gold Washers.
US Design Patent Number: D766137