Xtracycle Careers – Flagship Store Manager
Our curiously catalytic founder returned from extensive world travels—compelled to craft a simple two-wheeled steed that maybe, just maybe, could normalize bikes as everyday transport.
Almost by accident—(can I surf this thing?)—we rediscovered a funner way to get around. That feeling of gliding past traffic, wind in our sails—the sheer glee of having our favorite people there with us for the ride. We hadn’t felt that way since we were kids!
To our utter delight (and admittedly, some surprise), our humble designs ignited a cargo bike movement that is now inspiring millions into grabbing life by the bars and following us down a path less-pedalled. These everyday active-ists are shifting the course of human transportation toward a more brilliant future—for us and all our fellow crew members on spaceship Earth.
You might just have to ride to believe.
We work to live by the following values:
Be a good butterfly: If a butterfly can cause a hurricane thousands of miles away, so can you. Make it a good one.
Run the edges: Edgerunners are those courageous people who by strength of will and nobility of spirit make life better for humanity. In this way of being, at times you will feel alone. We must reimagine the status quo and live for something bigger than ourselves.
Be ready for anything: Open minds and hungry hearts—with a willingness to try new things, take risks, and fail forward—prepare us for everyday adventure. Commit to grow, master your uncertainty, sharpen your skills, and boldly forge your future.
Be moved: When we fully engage with the moment, embrace our purpose, and are moved in body and spirit, we generate vicarious joy. This is our invitation to openly share your emotion, inspiration, meaning, and beauty: fuel your fire and lead the way with your light.
We ride together: We share a vision of the bicycle as a powerful change agent—humble and inclusive yet revolutionary—and bikes that haul give people even more utility and personal freedom. That’s the whole point: we edgerunners ride together, and our bikes serve, transport, and transform us all. If the life we live is the legacy we leave, let’s ride!
About this role.
Xtracycle recently opened a new flagship store (part test ride and service center, part community engagement platform, part product research forum) in Mill Valley.
Join our team to make this space successful as a space for people to test-ride, rent and service Xtracycles with an eye towards building the flagship store as a replicable model as Xtracycle grows.
The person in this role will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead, manage and hold the retail sales and service teams accountable for hitting their respective targets.
- Clearly communicate with and support the in-shop team to ensure that they’re effective and know that their voices are heard.
- Assign the servicing of bikes to members of the service team according to availability and ability, in order to have service completed in a timely manner
- Work with the Sales and Marketing Director and the in-store staff to develop and refine sales goals, a sales strategy and implementation plan, and a consistent sales process.
- Manage the retail sales and service teams: hire, train, manage and offboard team members as needed?
- Develop a welcoming and inclusive space
- Create policies and procedures to support all team members and clients in feeling like the flagship store is a safe space for them to be themselves authentically.
- Manage inventory
- Take regular stock counts.
- Make purchases of inventory as needed.
- Record all inflows and outflows of inventoried products.
- Buy non-stock items as needed (i.e. copy paper, cleaning supplies, etc.)
- Place warehouse transfers as needed and arrange transportation.
- Ship bikes and accessories to clients
- Oversee packaging and palletizing of all shipping to ensure that shipments are ready to leave on-time.
- Book accessories, small-part and bike shipping via small parcel, freight and local delivery services.
- In-person sales
- You’ll be the first person to step in and help out if the Client Sales Advisor is out on a test ride with someone.
- Community outreach
- Work together with the Sales and Marketing Director to develop a community outreach strategy and implementation plan. Then you’ll work to implement it!
- Manage the Yelp and Google reviews pages for the flagship store and respond to all feedback in a brand-aligned manner.
- Keep physical space clean and tidy
What you’ll bring to the team.
- Entrepreneurial attitude: You work hard and do whatever it takes to help Xtracycle succeed.
- Goal-Oriented: You have strong follow-through and consistently achieve your goals.
- Ready for Anything: You stay hyper-vigilant and attuned to the good and bad. You are prepared for the unexpected.
- Problem-Solver: You notice when something isn’t working and work with your team to make it better.
- Clear communicator: You are friendly, concise and open. You communicate simply and leave nothing open for interpretation in person, on calls, and in writing.
- Positive: You are positive and upbeat in communications.
- Systems Builder: You’re constantly on the lookout for improving how we do things and build and document effective systems.
- Skilled at managing a retail shop and very familiar with cargo bikes.
- A love of family/cargo bikes and their ability to change lives.
This is a full-time position from Tuesdays-Saturdays. Compensation ranges from $56,000-$70,000/year + benefits and depends on experience. The person in this role will also attend the annual team gathering for several days.
How to apply
To apply for this position, go to: xcy.cl/apply
Please write “Xtracycle Flagship Store Manager” into the “Applying for” field.
- Your Resume
- Answer the following question: Why are you interested in working for Xtracycle as the Xtracycle Flagship Store Manager?
Please apply by the end of August. We’ll start scheduling interviews with applicants in September.
About the location
Work at our new Mill Valley, CA based flagship store located near Good Earth Natural Foods.
Xtracycle is an equal opportunity employer
Xtracycle values a diverse workplace where teammates feel empowered, dignified and respected in all aspects of work and life. We strongly encourage women/trans/femme/non-binary/two spirit/gender non-conforming/+, BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply.
Xtracycle is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.