This article reviews the upgraded features of the non-electric EdgeRunner Swoop and Classic. For upgrades specific to the Bosch EdgeRunners – the eSwoop and eClassic – please refer to this article: EdgeRunner eSwoop and eClassic Features. Please not that the eClassic is sold out and discontinued.
New Swoop and Classic Highlight
1. All Chromoly frame: The EdgeRunner Swoop and Classic have frames made with all Chromoly steel.
2. Universal sizing: These frames come in universal sizing which makes ordering easier and gives the bikes a wider range of fit. All frames for the Swoop and Classic are the same size and when you order your bike, you will get a seat post and handlebar stem kit. These new frames can fit riders ranging from 4’9” to 6’10”.
3. “Swoop” over height: The Swoop has a lower step over height of 18.5″ that makes mounting and dismounting easier.
4. Thru axle front hub: The front wheel hub is a thru axle hub. Thru axle hubs offer a stiffer connection of the wheel to the fork which helps with handling heavier loads on the bike. The thru axle hub connects the wheel and fork in a way that makes the wheel much safer and less likely for the axle to come loose. Thru axle hubs are also lighter than quick release wheel hubs.
5. Hydraulic disc brakes: All Swoop and Classic models come with hydraulic brakes. These brakes require less maintenance. They also don’t loosen over time since they auto-adjust as the pads wear down. This means you will never have diminished braking. Hydraulic brakes are also more powerful and more reliable due to their dual pad movement.
6. Rear seat braces: Behind the seat tube, there are two braces that come from the seat tube and attach to the seat stays. This increases rigidity on the back end of the frame.
7. Wedding Rings: Along with the tried and true RackLocks, the two WeddingRings help create a more secure connection between the V-racks and the bike frame. The WeddingRings bolt onto the bike frame and have an O-ring that the V-racks slide through. Once the V-racks are through the rings and secured in the bike frame with the RackLocks, the WeddingRings are tightened to pull the V-racks in toward the bike frame. These help create less movement of V-racks and hold V-racks tight to bike frame.
8. Centered rear wheel: The rear derailleur on the Swoop and Classic has been off-set inward a few millimeters to make it more centered on the frame. This gives the rear wheel more even spoke tension, making it stronger. The rear wheel is a quick release (unlike the front thru axle) since having a thru axle rear-wheel is not as beneficial as a front thru axle wheel hub.
9. Adjustable deck height: For riders who want to lower the deck height even further than the stock 23.5″, the V-racks can be cut down to accommodate a deck height of 19.5″.
10. 27 gears on all bikes: All Swoop and Classic models come with 27 gears (3 in the front, 9 in the rear).
Tried and true features we carried over from previous year models
There is a lot we loved about our previous year models and kept on these upgraded models. This includes:
– a 20″ rear wheel and 26″ front wheel
– a quick release on the rear wheel
– mounts for the PorterRack and PorterPack
– compatibility with LT2 accessories (including the LT2 Hooptie, LT2 U-tubes and MagicCarpet)
– compatibility with the X3 bag system
– the glossy teal and matte black paint options
– the LT2 V-racks and LT2 FlightDeck
How this compares to other model years
|2016 model year EdgeRunners||2021 Shimano eSwoop / eStoker|
|All Chromoly frame||Yes||Yes|
|Universal sizing||No, frames came in Small or Large||Yes|
|Swoop height||No||Yes, on eSwoop|
|Thru axel front hub||No, quick release front fork||Yes|
|Hydraulic disc brakes||Available on all models except the 24D||Yes|
|Rear seat braces||No||Yes|
|Wedding rings||No||No longer needed for Longtail RearRack|
|Centered rear wheel||No||Yes|
|Adjustable deck height||No||No longer an option with the Longtail RearRack|
|27 gears on all non-e-bikes||No, some has 24 gears or 30 gears||These are e-bikes so they have 11 speeds|
Swoop spec sheet
The spec sheet for the Swoop and Classic can be found here under the the Full Specs header.
Swoop geometry chart
The spec sheet for the Swoop and Classic can be found here under the the Geometry header.