This article applies to retired products that are no longer available.
This article reviews the mechanical and electrical features of the now retired EdgeRunner Bosch eSwoop and eClassic. For features specific to the non-electric EdgeRunner Swoop and Classic, please refer to this article here: EdgeRunner Swoop and Classic Features. Please note that both of these models are sold out and have been replaced with the Shimano eSwoop. The eClassic model has since been discontinued.
Bosch eSwoop and eClassic highlight features
1. Option for the Bosch Performance or Performance CX: The EdgeRunner (ER) eSwoop and eClassic had the option for the Bosch Performance or the Bosch Performance CX motor.
2. Dual battery option: The eSwoop and eClassic allowed for the option of installing a dual battery cradle so two 500 wH batteries can be installed.
3. Bosch Purion display: The electric EdgeRunners used the Bosch Purion display. This display is clear, legible and strategically placed for easy reach by the left handlebar grip.
4. Universal sizing: These frames come in universal sizing which made ordering easier and gave the bikes a wider range of fit. All frames for the eSwoop and eClassic were the same size and when you ordered your bike, riders got a seat post and handlebar stem. These frames could fit riders ranging from 4’8” to 6’10”.
5. Step over height: The eSwoop had a new lower step over height of 18.5″ that made mounting and dismounting easier. Previous year models had a stand over height of 25″ on the S/M frame. The eClassic maintained the step over height of previous model year bikes.
6. Thru axle front hub: The front wheel hub was changed to a thru axle hub. All previous year models were quick release front wheels. Thru axle hubs offer a stiffer connection of the wheel to the fork which helps with handling heavier loads on the bike. The thru axle hub connects the wheel and fork in a way that makes the wheel much safer and less likely for the axle to come loose. Thru axle hubs are also lighter than quick release wheel hubs.
7. Hydraulic disc brakes: All eSwoop and eClassic models came with hydraulic brakes. These brakes require less maintenance than mechanical brakes and are highly responsive. They also don’t loosen over time since they auto-adjust as the pads wear down. This means you will never have diminished braking. Hydraulic brakes are also more powerful and more reliable due to their dual pad movement.
8. Herrmans front and rear light included: The eSwoop and eClassic came spec with a Herrmans H-Black MR8 E 6-12V front light and an H-Track Dynamo rear light.
9. Rear seat braces: Behind the seat tube, there were two new braces that came from the seat tube and attach to the seat stays. This increases rigidity on the back end of the frame.
10. Wedding Rings: Along with the tried and true RackLocks (also found on previous year models), these two new WeddingRings helped create a more secure connection between the V-racks and the bike frame. The WeddingRings bolt onto the bike frame and have an O-ring that the V-racks slide through. Once the V-racks are through the rings and secured in the bike frame with the RackLocks, the WeddingRings are tightened to pull the V-racks in toward the bike frame. These help create less movement of the V-racks and hold V-racks tight to bike frame.
11. Centered rear wheel: The rear derailleur on the eSwoop and eClassic was off-set inward a few millimeters to make it more centered on the frame. This gives the rear wheel more even spoke tension, making it stronger. The rear wheel is still a quick release (unlike the new front thru axle) since having a thru axle rear-wheel is not as beneficial as a front thru axle wheel hub.
12. 10 gears on all bikes: All ER eSwoop and eClassic models came with 10 gears. Previous year eBike models came in various gear combos (8, 9 and 10)
13. Adjustable deck height: For riders who want to lower the deck height even further than the stock 23.5″, the V-racks can be cut down to accommodate a deck height of 19.5″.
– All Chromoly frame: The EdgeRunner Swoop and Classic had frames made with all Chromoly steel.
Tried and true features we carried over from previous year models
There is a lot we loved about our previous year models and kept on these upgraded eBikes. This includes:
– a 20″ rear wheel and 26″ front wheel
– a quick release on the rear wheel
– mounts for the PorterRack and PorterPack
– compatibility with LT2 accessories (including the LT2 Hooptie, LT2 U-tubes and MagicCarpet)
– compatibility with the X3 bag system
– the glossy teal and matte black paint options
– the LT2 V-racks and LT2 FlightDeck
Geometry charts can be found here.