Sean Loves His Xtracycle
Met Sean Carter at Interbike's Outdoor Demo this year and he wanted to share his Xtracycle appreciation.
The Goodfocus peeps (a sustainable production company) photographed and filmed the Brita Climate Ride using Xtracycles. The Xtracycle platform allowed them to ride with the cyclists, up close and personal. Interviews were easy since no motor was jamming up the audio and they were able to get a myriad of shots and angles on the ride.
This Is Me, and This Is My Bike
RJ, a cyclist in upstate Washington, put together this video demonstrating her main commuter bike: an Xtracycle. She wanted to share with others what her bicycle is capable of, and how easy it is to live every day adventure. Follow RJ at her blog: An Adventure Called Bicycling.
- "Radish and PeaPod LT arrived and were assembled today! Rode it home from the bike shop with big ass grin on my face. Kids loved it too. Finally a way to ride with my kids the way I have always dreamed." - Heide
- "I got to be the passenger on my friend's X... to the farmers' market... in the pouring rain. It was awesome. :)" - Jennifer
- "It is flower time here in CA and this week while biking my 6-year-old home from school I had the pleasure of listening to he and my 3-year-old discuss all the different colors of flowers they saw on the ride home. Oh, and I think my two guys have finally figured out how to ride back there without being wiggly. They used to bug each other and wiggle a lot but it's been much easier recently. Then again, maybe they are distracted by the flowers.
That and when I pulled the bike out to the street by the school another guy on a bike went by and saw my 6-year-old getting on and said, "That's very cool!
Speaking of birds... my three-year-old and I saw a hawk yesterday! I was able to stop quickly on the bike and point out the hawk being chased away by two crows. Definitely easier to do by bike than by car." - Abigail
- "We had a great family bike tour. The oldest rode her own and Anne and I took turns hauling the youngest and all the gear on our Xtracycles. These are some great family camping adventure machines!" - Tim
- "My own Xtracycle has been my most essential Dad tool. We use it for everything. Now that the girls are bigger, we still use it. If one of them gets tired on a ride, we put the front tire of her bike into the FreeLoader and she "comes aboard" the X' for the ride home.
It's just an amazing, amazing appliance. You should all be so proud of yourselves." - Don
- "Last summer, on a night when our little one was at grandma's house, my wife and i decided to go out for dinner. Nothing fancy, just a local thai restaurant that's pretty good.
It was warm out that night, so rather than drive there, I said, "Let's take the bike." My wife was a little reluctant about riding on the back, but she hopped on the padded SnapDeck anyway, and we rode off.
We got lots of comments and questions about the Xtracycle on the way, and what would have been a boring, routine (not to mention wasteful) 1-mile drive was transformed into a lot of fun, good exercise (for me, anyway), and a memorable evening." - Philip
- "[Enjoyed an] overnight at 8000 feet in the beautiful Rocky Mountains, Roosevelt National Park. She handled as well as she could on steep 4x4 trails that became icy singletrack. Thanks Xtracycle!" - Taylor
- "[I love] riding with my daughter's bike strapped on the FreeRadical, then stopping to let her ride on the safer stretches. She is such an enthusiast (at 5 yrs), since she practically grew up on my bike." - Morgan
- "You haven't ridden an "X" until you have done it with kids :-) They’re so much more fun than carrying packages.
I don’t have any kids, but was babysitting a 5 and 7 year old today. When I told them they got to ride with me on my bike this afternoon, they replied, “Cool!” We rode from one park to another on the bike trail. They absolutely loved it! In fact, when we got to the second park (with all brand new, neat playground equipment) they didn’t want to get off and begged me to keep riding!
At the beginning of the ride, the 5 year old was a little hesitant and told me he didn’t like going fast. By the end of the ride, I heard “Wheeeee!!!!” down the hill and exclamations of “That was like a roller coaster!” They had a blast and would love to do it again.
While on the bike they were so sweet to each other ("Can you please slide up a little bit?"). But after we loaded back up in the borrowed SUV (too much traffic with someone else's kids and killer hills) the complaining about sitting in traffic and picking on each other started back up!
As we passed a kid in a stroller that looked to be about 3 years old. He told his parents he could ride that bike too!" - Jenny
- "XtraCycle & The Big Dummy have changed our lives dramatically. Just wanted to say that -again. Endlessly Useful (Hooray! Thanks!)" - Large Fella on a Bike
- "My Xtracycle has been an invaluable piece of equipment for nearly 10 years. It's hard to imagine life without it." - Crema Roasting
- "Given all the benefits of regularly using your bike/Xtracycle, I think upfront cost of an Xtracycle outfitted bike is well worth it. In the time we've used our X, I've lost a few pounds and am in much better overall health/condition. Our car sits unused for a few days at a time... and so on. The X itself is not the only answer for a utility bike, but it's a pretty darn good one. I find it very, very useful and prefer riding ours over our non-X outfitted bikes. The nice thing about the FreeRadical kit is how you can fit it to a wide variety of standard bike frames. This gives you incredible flexibility for customizing your ride "just so." I can't speak to the value of the Big Dummy, but given the amount of money people commit to their cars, this is small change.
Again, it's my belief that the long term benefits of a more bike centric lifestyle are well worth the investment in a solid, proven product. I'm "sold" on the X and would highly recommend it to just about anyone." - Phil
- "Mahahaha! I carried home 25lbs of kitty litter, a gallon of Arizona tea and 2 bags of groceries on my Xtracycle today. Tt was EASY!" - @KnittyKnome
- "We've had the X for just over a year now and it's really changed our lives.
We use it constantly and it has almost completely replaced our minivan for our weekend outings. I've used it to haul all kinds of loads, from moving my home office (2 computers w/monitors, multifunction printer, etc.) to bringing plants into my office." - Steve
- "I have been car-free for almost 2 years now. My Xtracycle (soon to be electrified!) has saved my sanity many times!" - Jenny
- "This thing is way better than I thought it would be. Biking to the grocery store to do normal shopping (and not just one item that could fit in my backpack), going to school, bring potluck stuff to work with my other gear, it all made me feel good....good that I had found a way to go without wasting gas on a solo trip, good that I could rely on my own power to get to where I needed to go. I wasn't really into the idea of giving up my car, or major environmental ideals, at that time. It did make the idea that I could sell my car, rely solely on biking, public transit, or carpooling to get where I needed to go, possible." - Elizabeth
- "Thanks so much. I love your products. My little Jill cried when she saw the bike my LBS is lending us because it did not have a place for her to ride. She loves a longtail as much as I do! Thanks again!" - Brent
- "We got an Xtracycle about a year ago and it transformed our already car-free lives. Whereas before we'd use a zipcar to do our major grocery shopping and other hauling, making it a special trip always watching the clock, now we can haul just as much by bike and do it anytime we damn well like -- for free. You can carry a hell of a lot comfortably on an Xtracycle. I don't even limit how much I buy at Rainbow or TJ's - I just fill up the cart until it overflows, and it all fits in the Xtracycle. Now we don't need a car for ANY in-city trips at all. And it's great for shlepping picnic tables, croquet, food, and your spouse to the park for a picnic. It's amazing how this very simple technology can expand and improve your life by so much. An Xtracycle plus car sharing is the ideal urban transportation system. Sure you need a bike dedicated to the Xtracycle, but it's a hell of a lot simpler and more convenient than a bike trailer, and much easier and more elegant to ride." - Jim
- "Just want to let you know not only what a great product the Xtracycle is, but also how you guys and gals went the extra mile to put together great instructions and assembly package, which had every single detail dialed in, such as the right number of chain links, housing, cables, and even end caps. I really appreciated it as I was assembling it." - Greg
- "Can't thank you enough for designing and selling it. I've hauled cases of beer, six big buckets from the Container Store, my kids, my son and his bike, my kids' two bikes, my husband (he has hauled me too), and many children learning to ride without training wheels as a reward for their effort (I started a workshop to help kids learn to ride on just two wheels). For those clinics, I've hauled two Sküt bikes, 20 orange cones, a big banner, and miscellaneous other stuff to and from Golden Gate Park. I have even gotten 5 children on at one go -- we call it the bike bus then.
- In short, I love the Xtracycle and only wish I had gotten one years earlier. Keep up the great work and I hope to shake your hand one day." - Jean
- "I am on week two with my Xtracycle and am unbelievably happy. It was 23 degrees when I rode to work this am but totally worth it!" - Beth
- "It is sorta nice when people yell at you from their car that you have a great bike and want to know where to get one" - @Pedal_Pushers