Working at Xtracycle
We're looking for teammates who passionately believe in our purpose: to empower people with transformational tools that move the body and spirit.
At Xtracycle you'll transform families, and empower people to reinvent what's possible by bike while working towards our ambitious vision. You'll work alongside optimistic, growth-oriented people to solve the daily challenges of those who are ready to get out of the box and live an ignited life. Our homey office, walking distance from Macarthur BART in Oakland, has multiple trampolines to get your creative juices flowing, a product development laboratory, and a comfortable, down-to-earth vibe. We enjoy hard work and balance our professional will with our personal humility. For exceptionally qualified candidates, remote work is a possibility.
We are looking for a Graphic Designer
Position: Graphic Designer
You’ll design and make the entire Xtracycle virtual and physical universe consistent with our values: the website, product packaging and manuals, catalogs, point of purchase materials, and more.
Your efforts will help Xtracycle accomplish its 2020 mission: To irrefutably and sustainably take the long tail cargo bike market mainstream - from early adopter to early majority. By the end of 2020, Xtracycle will have 202+ partner dealers that place pre-season orders, 2020+ new riders annually, and 202+ who choose to be brand ambassadors and actively promote the lifestyle and product to friends, family, and perfect strangers.
- Prepare work to be accomplished by gathering information and materials.
- Plan concept by studying information and materials.
- Illustrate concept by designing rough layout of art and copy regarding arrangement, size, type size and style, and related aesthetic concepts.
- Obtain approval of concept by submitting rough layout for approval.
- Prepare finished copy and art by operating typesetting, printing, and similar equipment; purchasing from vendors.
- Manage Xtracycle Assets for internal use and external sharing.
- Prepare final layout by marking and pasting up finished copy and art.
- Ensure operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment.
- Complete projects by coordinating with outside agencies, art services, printers, etc.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending design workshops; reviewing professional publications; participating in professional societies.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Your Qualities and Attributes:
- ability to effectively work as a distributed team member (remotely)
- creative flair
- a strong visual sense
- strong computer skills
- confidence, to present and explain ideas to clients and colleagues
- the ability to grasp client needs and consider practical solutions
- the ability to pay attention to detail
- the ability to balance work on several projects at a time
- good teamworking skills
- an awareness of the competitive business environment in which they work
- a matter-of-fact approach when ideas or designs are rejected
- Adobe Suite: for graphic design.
- Basecamp 3: for collaborating with teammates on specific projects.
- Happyfox: for email correspondence with customers
- Communication with internal and external audiences:
- Google Drive for internal documentation.
- Gmail for external communication.
- Slack for internal communication.
- Google Calendar for coordinating schedules with staff/contractors.
- Zoom for meetings with staff/contractors
- Dropbox for external document storage.
- All routine work will be documented inside the company operations manual(s) for each position and all departments.
- Perform all work in adherence with company policies and standards (noted in Position Agreement and Team Handbook).
- Embody the company’s values in all interactions with customers, vendors, suppliers, and team members.
- Respond to all important company inquiries (e.g., telephone calls and emails) within 1 business day and within 4 hours whenever possible. See Team Handbook for greater explanation.
- Keep all sensitive company information strictly confidential.
- Notify manager immediately of any issues that cannot be resolved, or deadlines that cannot be met within a reasonable time, and before the deadline arises.
- Recommend ideas for improvements and innovations to company systems at staff meetings and to your manager.
- Enthusiastically participate in weekly Team Huddles Tuesdays at 10am Pacific.
- graphics and typography
- new developments in design software
- current trends and techniques
This is a full-time, exempt position and salary will be dependent on experience.
To apply for this position, go to: http://xcy.cl/apply
Please write "Graphic Designer" into the Applying for field.
- Your Resume
- Cover Letter
- Your design portfolio (physical and virtual)
Your cover letter should answer the following questions:
- Why are you inspired to commit your time and energy to Xtracycle?
- Examples of how your personal attributes are the perfect fit for what we’re looking for?
We'll be scheduling interviews on a rolling basis with qualified candidates.
Work at our Oakland-based office walking distance from MacArthur BART or remote work is a possibility for strong candidates.